City of Salisbury
COUNCIL MEETING AGENDA
October 3, 2017
1. Invocation to be given by Councilmember Miller.
2. Call to order.
3. Pledge of Allegiance.
4. Recognition of visitors present.
5. Mayor to proclaim the following:
FIRE PREVENTION WEEK
October 8-14, 2017
6. Council to consider the CONSENT AGENDA:
(a) Adopt a concurring ORDINANCE with the North Carolina Department of Transportation to update the City Code regarding speed limits on Jake Alexander Boulevard.
(b) Adopt an ORDINANCE declaring temporary road closures on Main Street between Liberty and Bank Streets and for the intersection of South Long Street and East Bank Street for the Martin Luther King, Jr. parade.
(c) Adopt an ORDINANCE amending the FY2017-2018 budget ordinance in the amount of $15,500 to appropriate various Police Department donations.
7. Council to receive a presentation regarding the Carolina Canopy Workshop.
8. Council to receive a Council Committee report regarding proposed changes to the Special Event Ordinance and consider adopting an ORDINANCE to amend Chapter 22, Articles V and VI of the Code of the City of Salisbury, relating to parades, picket lines, and group demonstrations:
(a) Receive a report and recommendation
(b) Hold a public hearing
(c) Consider adopting the Ordinance amendment.
9. Council to hold a second reading of Land Development Ordinance and District Map Amendment CD-02-2017, City of Salisbury, rezoning approximately 1.17 acres on Mahaley Avenue by establishing a new Conditional District Overlay to permit the development of a new Fire Station 3.
COUNCIL MEETING AGENDA – PAGE 2 – OCTOBER 3, 2017
10. Council to receive an update regarding construction plans for the Dixonville Cemetery Memorial Walk.
11. Council to consider making appointments to various boards and commissions.
12. Council to receive public comment. Public comment will be opened at approximately 6:00 p.m. or at the end of the meeting, whichever comes first. Speakers must sign in prior to the public comment session.
13. City Manager’s Comments.
(a) Introduction of new DSI Director Larissa Harper
(b) Update on West End Projects.
(c) Other comments.
14. Mayor’s Announcements.
(a) Parks and Recreation will hold its Family Camp Out on Friday and Saturday, October 6 and 7, 2017 at Salisbury Community Park. Participants will enjoy nature sessions, fishing, camp fire with s’mores, an outdoor movie and more. Pre-registration is required. Campsites are $20 per family of 4. Limited tent rental is available. For more information, please call 704-216-PLAY.
(b) Salisbury Parks and Recreation, in partnership with Downtown Salisbury, Inc., will host the annual Halloween Fun Fest Saturday, October 28, 2017 from 3:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. in the City Hall parking ot. Activities will include carnival games, live entertainment, trick or treating, a hay bale maze, costume contest, pet costume contest and more. Game tickets are $5.00 for an unlimted pass.
(c) An Empire Project community update is scheduled for Monday, October 16, 2017 from 5:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. in Council Chambers at City Hall. Representatives from Blackpoint Investments will provide updates on the progress of the Empire Project and light refreshements will be provided.
(d) The Salisbury Police Department will partner with Gerry Wood Auto Group to conduct its 15th Annual Christmas Bicycle Giveaway program. A total of 140 bicycles and helmets will be distributed just before Christmas on December 21. In order to determine the recipients of the bicycles, applications must be completed by a parent or guardian. Applications are available at the Salisbury Police Department located at 130 East Liberty Street during regular business hours. Applications must be submitted to the Police Department by Friday, November 3, 2017
Council meetings are streamed live at www.salisburync.gov/webcast